Home
Apps
Apps
Ask
Ask
Manual
Manual

Mystery functions in MSE

In the catalog for MathStudio Express, there are over 60 entries which are not in the online MSE manual. Many of these, such as inverse trig, are obvious. But there are a number of others which are not so easy to figure out, or which include some parameters which are mysterious. It seems likely that some of these would be quite useful, so if anyone knows the location of an explanation or example of the following, I would appreciate hearing about it.

MatrixDiagInv(matA) [what does this do?]
MatrixLowerInv(matA) [what does this do?]
nPow(z, n, mode=1) [what does this do? What is mode=1?]
Ones(z) [what does this do?]
Psi(n, z) [What is ‘n’?]
pSolve(funct, variables var, d=14) [what does this do?]
PtoR(z) [what does this do?]
rSolve(func, variable var, guess, p=1) [what does this do?]
RtoP [what does this do?]
Sigma(n, k=1) [what does this do?]
SimplifyFactorial(f, mode=0) [what does this do?]
SumDigits(n, mode=0) [what is mode=0?]
Sum_Series(expr, k, m, n, step+1) [what are the parameters?]
TangentLine(funct, var, val, mode=0) [what are the parameters?]
Taylor(function, var, n, val=0, mode=0) [what are the parameters?]
TrigSolve(funct, variables var, range=0) [what does this do?]

thanks,
Whiffee

I’m not a power user of MathStudio Express that I run on my Amazon Fire tablet but I did play with a few of the functions you listed to see what they do. The ones I played with also work on the web version of MathStudio. Here is a copy of a few things I did figure out.

Examples1

hi Michael, say that’s pretty good sleuthing. I’ll keep those for reference, they seem to work. I’ve tried a couple of others but I have to admit they didn’t work out.

Please pass along any more that you come up with.

I am continuing to try them on my Fire tablet and then to test them on the web version of MathStudio.

I’ve investigated nPow(z, n, mode=1). Here is my link to the web version work.

nPow

I also did Sum_Series. I’ll be looking at the rest of them soon.

SumSeries

The final one I studied is SumDigits.

SumDigits

Psi(z) is the DiGamma function
Psi(n,z) is the n-th order derivative of DiGamma function.

But there is in the catalog two other functions to do this, DiGamma(z) and PolyGamma(z). The catalog’s description of PolyGamma clued me in to the Psi(n,z) function

Psi.

MatrixDiagInv takes inverse of diagonal elements of a square matrix, other elements untouched.

MatrixLowerInv of a square matrix resets the elements in upper triangle to zero and then takes inverse of resulting matrix.

matrix commands